In the lead up to International Women’s Day we’re taking a moment to celebrate all of the wonderful women in our lives. From family and friends, to patients and our wonderful customers, the Fit Right team are amazed by the myriad of positive impacts our fabulous community of women make to the lives of others every single day.
The theme for International Women’s Day 2022 is ‘Break the Bias’. This year is all about recognising gender inequality, raising awareness against bias and taking action to celebrate the achievements of women as we strive for a gender equal world.
The pressure on women is enormous. Across industries, in Australia and globally, women face pay disparity, workplace discrimination and the inequitable division of domestic and emotional labour. The mental load imbalance and gendered division of parental and domestic responsibility falls largely on the shoulders of women. It’s time to change that.
Working in the health industry – whether your patients have four legs or two - we know you are super women, who go above and beyond to support those around you. You do so much, so it’s time to take a moment and recognise the change you make.
Let’s celebrate the small achievements. The little wins and daily moments of care you share with family, friends and patients that touch so many lives. Break the bias by reflecting on and recognising the support you and your circle of strong women provide to make your slice of the world a kinder place.
How to Celebrate:
Some ideas to celebrate International Women’s Day;
- Text, call or email messages of gratitude to female colleagues and mentors. Think of the fantastic women who have inspired you or have helped you in your career. Recognise the positive contributions they are making daily to their communities and the legacy they are building as women in healthcare and beyond.
- Show your appreciation for all of the women in your life. Thank mothers, sisters and friends for all that they do. Every woman you have laughed with, cried with or been shaped by deserves to be celebrated!
- Don’t forget yourself. Reflect on how you positively impact the lives of those around you. We could all do with a little more self-recognition.
How to Advocate:
A gender equal world is about celebrating our differences and offering opportunity to all genders equally. Here are a few suggestions for how to advocate to eradicate gender bias;
- Become familiar and get involved with organisations that are actively working towards achieving gender equality. We’ve put together a short list below of fantastic Australian organisations and initiatives that focus on helping women in health and veterinary care to progress their careers and re-enter the workforce.
- Share a selfie on your social media with #breakthebias to show your support for a gender equal world by posting with the official International Women’s Day hashtag.
- Encourage male and gender non-conforming friends and family to get involved. We all have incredible women in our lives, and International Women’s Day is the time for each and everyone of us to show them our appreciation.
Organisations and Programs for Women in the Medical Field
Advancing Women in Healthcare Leadership is a large-scale national research and impact project dedicated to supporting women in the healthcare sector to meet their full potential and create an equitable balance of genders in healthcare leadership positions.
The Australian Federation of Medical Women strives to ensure equity and equality for female medical practitioners in Australia. AFMW aims to help members achieve success in the medical profession, while improving the health of all Australians, with a focus on improving the health of women and children.
Though not specifically targeted to women, the Australian Veterinary Association encourage female veterinarians returning to clinical practice after a career break to take advantage of their online Return to Work Program to gain a renewed sense of confidence as they re-enter the workforce.